Community and Church Volunteer Activities
Volunteers organise regular activities for the Ekklesia Park residents, these activities colour their days and contribute to the principle of active ageing.
- The pastors of different congregations and denominations take turns in leading the weekly prayer meetings .
- Pastors of different congregations and denominations take turns in leading the weekly prayer meetings .
- Volunteers of various congregations rotate on a monthly basis to organise a morning tea with refreshments during which a guest artist or group presents a performance.
- Bible study groups are organised by the residents themselves.
- There are weekly sing-along sessions and separate music appreciation listening gatherings.
- A reading circle for elderly people with limited vision offers the opportunity to stay abreast with the latest news, articles from magazines and other literature.
- Poetry and other literature readings take place regularly.
- Regular fitness exercises and weekly games sessions are offered.
- A tuck shop is available once a week on the premises and is manned by volunteers.
- The provincial library delivers books regularly for the residents and the Home has its own library from which the residents can make their own choice of literature.
- Regular film shows are presented as well as special celebrations such as spring days, Christmas programmes and other theme days.
- For the residents of the retirement village monthly meetings, where they can socialise, go on outings or make pretty items, are arranged by volunteers.
- For the past 17 years, the Friends of Ekklesia Park have arranged fundraising events. These funds have been utilised to pay for the interior decoration of the new living room, the tables and chairs on the patio next to the dining room and the new benches in the garden.